Tuesday, October 28, 2008

books


I love to read. There's something to be said for being able to live vicariously through a character in a book. It's an escape. It's a way to be something that you are not--whether that is an orphan, a widow, a CIA agent, a fireman, an inspiration, or whatever. But I love it.

I love books in general. I love the smell of new books and the crisp pages when you open it for the first time. I love the memories of old books (Ramona Quimby, Trixie Belden, Sweet Valley Twins, Babysitter's Club, Nancy Drew, etc.) and the good feeling you get when you spot it on the shelf after you haven't read it in awhile.

I love bookstores. There's something about being surrounded by so many choices. I can spend hours in a bookstore and not realize how much time has passed because I'm too busy trying to decide which book to actually take home. And bookshelves--I LOVE homes with bookshelves that are full of interesting reads. Like the Griffits in Coeur d'Alene...

On our roadtrips this year, we've spent alot of time discussing puzzles (crosswords, syllacrostics, and a bunch of other kinds) and good books. In honor of those discussions, I would like to provide a list of some of my favorite books/authors.

For the mystery/action lovers:
  • Anything by Vince Flynn--His books are exceptionally well written and researched. Not too mention they are addicting. You really will not be able to put them down.
  • Anything by Lois Duncan or Mary Higgins Clark--these books are your typical semi-cheesy mysteries that are quick reads.

For the romance lovers:

  • Anything by Nicholas Sparks--You've all seen The Notebook, so you can just imagine the tears that will be streaming down your face in private compared to the ones you semi-controlled in the movie theater.
  • Anything by Dorothy Keddington--But my favorites are "Return to Redcastle" and "Jayhawk". Her books are romances with a little mystery mixed in.

Religious:

  • "The Great and Terrible" series by Chris Stewart
  • "Children of the Promise" and "Hearts of the Children" series by Dean Hughes
  • "Work and the Glory" series by Gerald Lund
  • Anything by Jack Weyland

Other:

  • "Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry"
  • "To Kill a Mockingbird"
  • "Summer of the Monkeys"
  • "Where the Red Fern Grows"
  • "Me and Caleb"
  • "Summer of the Swans"
  • "Lord of the Flies"
  • "Les Miserables"
  • "The Lottery Rose"
  • "The Indian in the Cupboard"
  • "The Scarlet Letter"
  • Any of the "Harry Potter" books

If you can think of any other awesome books, let me know!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for the post Missy. Jason and I were just trying to remember the action author you were suggesting. Of course I love all of Nicholas Sparks, saw the movie Nights in Rodanthe very good. However, I have read most of his books and my very favorite is Three Weeks with my Brother, it's a memoir of his life and it's awesome!

holly said...

ahh, books. you have a good list here. i'm just trying to think what i'd add to it.

-the scarlett pimpernel
-life of pi
-jane eyre
-the kite runner
-a thousand splendid suns
-walk two moons
-hatchet
-night
-anne of green gables

confession- i make myself to mini 'book reports' in a book journal so i remember what a book was about, otherwise my mind blanks out when i try to remember a book. yes, i'm a living breathing NERD.

Bonnie said...

how are those shopaholic books coming along? Have you not started, made a dent, or finished?
I guess you get a pass since you are in season and I gave you 6 books to read :)