Monday, March 16, 2009

spring break part: St. George, Utah

After I got back from Preston on Monday night, I had a co-ed playoff game. Once the game was over and we had a victory under our belts, I headed home for my least favorite task: packing.

Tuesday morning, I finished up the packing and ran some errands with just enough time to spare for a quick visit to see Karlee, Kaden, and Adric before Colton and I went to the Mindful Women Day Spa for a massage. I love, Love, LOVE these massages. They are so relaxing and Mindful Women is the absolute best place to get one. Anyway, as usual it was fantastic and a great way to kick off the rest of my week's vacation.

After the massage, I ran home to load my stuff up in Colton's car and then we went to the Big Sky Conference basketball tournament games at the Dee Event Center. We played Montana State and ended up losing...boo hoo. It was awful and the old know-it-all-man sitting behind us almost made me jump out of my seat to joke him. I can't stand fans who question coaches all the time (gee, I wonder why...it wouldn't have anything to do with my profession would it?) and think that they would do so much better. Especially fans like this one who readily admit that this was the one and only game he'd seen all year. "This isn't the team I've been reading about in the paper all year." Whatever. I could have killed him. Jerk.

With our spirits down after the game, we decided that we might as well take off for St. George. So with the truck all loaded and wheels on the road, I looked at the clock and saw it was 10:20pm. That meant we weren't scheduled for arrival until 3:30am. Yuck. But with dill pickle seeds and a spit cup in hand, we were unstoppable road warriors. The ride actually went much faster than I expected it to and we took turns manning the Ipod & I read a few Mitch Rapp chapters with my trusted headlamp. Sure enough--we pulled into the condo at 3:35am. And I was in bed with my eyes closed by 3:45.
Wednesday we woke up around noon and got our little selves ready for a bike ride. We took advantage of the paved bike paths all through town after a small detour to find an air compressor. We rode everywhere we possibly could have and it ended up being a 22 mile ride--which my still-sore-from-Jillian Michaels-butt can proudly attest too. Thank heavens I'd been to some spinning classes before this trip because my sits bones were barking!! But it was worth it. The weather was gorgeous and I desperately needed the sunshine. We went out to celebrate our exercise filled day with a fat meal from Texas Roadhouse and then we spent the rest of the night watching "The Devil Wears Prada" at the condo--Colton's new favorite.

Thursday morning Colton & I went on a 4 wheeler ride--first we went to a place north of Washington which was awful...there was nothing really to look at and it was super bumpy. So we reloaded and decided to go check out the Bloomington Cave. It was a beautiful 12 mile ride to the caves and when we got there, we were making fun of the "Caution Cavers" sign that warned us that we needed to have a minimum of 3 light sources each, gloves, and kneepads, and that we should call and tell someone what time we planned on returning from our trip. But once we got in the cave, we could see why they'd warn us about it. It was pitch black in there and at one point we were doing the army crawl on our bellies to get around. That's where the kneepads would've come in handy. Then we found these markers that people had left showing us how to get to the very bottom. There were two places where we had to lay on our bellies, grab a rope, and sort of repel down into a deep, dark hole to get to the next marker. Gloves. They would have been nice. But it was really awesome especially considering that I am terrified of cramped, dark places. When we got back from our trip, we made a big batch of spaghetti and a pan of brownies--of which I quickly polished off half. Yum.

Friday we swam in the pool and spent the afternoon shopping. Then Duffy called and invited Colton to go golf 9 with him, so I took the truck and washed and cleaned it for a good 3 hours until it was time to pick him up. Then we all went to look at some of the houses that the realtor showed Marlene. There were some pretty cool houses for unreal prices thanks to the market and all the foreclosures that are going on. Then we took a trip to Iggy's for dinner and back to the house for some March Madness and a movie.

John got in on Saturday morning at 2am, so when he woke up, we decided to go look at some more houses. That afternoon, John & Marti went to a relative's wedding reception and Colton & I stayed at the condo to take a nap. Then the guys went golfing and we hit the stores again. We took Marti & John to In-n-Out Burger for dinner and then off to the condo for our final night.

Sunday we woke up and packed up the truck for our drive home, but decided to head to Hurricane to look at some more houses first. After a quick bite to eat, we were off and back on our way home. Colton was begging me to read to him, but for awhile, I kept falling asleep and so I would slur my words and he'd ask, "what did you just say?" I don't know what it is, but reading for me is a recipe for sleep. Anyway, I finally got over that & so I read the whole way back from Nephi.

It's funny that you can feel so exhausted when you come back from vacation, but I was dead tired and ready for bed the minute we pulled into the driveway. But, it was so much fun and definitely some much needed time away from the normal routine. I'm already looking forward to next year's Spring Break!!

No comments: