Monday, March 9, 2009

spring break part one: Preston, Idaho

This week has been Spring Break for the good ol' Wildcats. What a break it was! I started out by heading to Preston for a little R&R with my parents, Jake, Kelsey, Kennedy, Mason, and Adalyn. We made a great weekend by playing lots of Rummikub, Uno, Slap Jack, and War--and even got my Dad & Grandma LaRae to commit to a game. We watched our fam favorite movie, John Wayne's McClintock and all fell asleep on in our designated spots as usual.

I listened to Kennedy while she read her Ramona Quimby book to me and, as a result, had several flashbacks of staying in Audrey West's grandma's house when I was a little kid and trying to read as many of those books as we possibly could in two days while shoving our faces full of Reese's Pieces and watching the dog wander in the backyard after he'd been shot with an arrow...

I held the baby as much as I possibly could, remembering that it wasn't too long ago that I was doing the same thing with Kennedy. I can't believe how time flies--now I have 6 nieces and nephews. Speaking of time flying, Mason is going to be 3 on March 11, so we spent a fair amount of time in the disorganization that is Kings in Preston and also in the new Alco, searching for the perfect presents for Mason. I ate my fill of Cadbury mini-eggs and was rethinking that decision while Jillian Michaels and Kelsey Muir were kicking my butt in a workout that morning! I am still sore from that deal.

On Monday, I had the chance to watch Kennedy get up and get on the school bus and was there to receive the phone call from the Pioneer Elementary secretary to tell Kelsey that she was sick and needed to come home. It's funny how different my life is than my sisters'...they have so much more on their plate to worry about--keeping up with the laundry, trying to fix meals that the kids will actually eat, teaching their kids right from wrong, disciplining while allowing the kids to keep their dignity and independence, and trying to find time for themselves to workout, shower, put on makeup or even comb their hair. I don't know how they do it, but they do it so well. And I have a tremendous amount of respect for each of them. If I ever have the opportunity to be a mommy, I want to be just like them!

The weekend was so much fun & I never tire of being home. It's so peaceful at my parent's house and it is filled with so many good memories. Just driving into Cache Valley makes me breathe easier and for some reason, it seems like no matter what is going on my life, going home makes it better.

I love my family. We might not have a bunch of fancy toys or vacation destinations, but we have so much fun together. I can honestly say that my family members are my best friends.

I loved this poem, so I thought I'd post it so I could remember it:

Home is the place your heart resides
Home is the place that you decide
Home is the womb that holds the soul
Home is the place where one is whole

Home is the glow you hold in your eye
Home is the emotion that makes you cry
Home is safe and a place of peace
Home is where all strivings cease

Home is protective against the others
Home is full of sisters and brothers
Home is where you find your rest
Home is where you feel your best

Home is a memory that follows your being
Home is a dream for those agreeing
Home is the place where reserves fall
Home is the place you yearn to call

Home is where the family meets
Home is a place of restful retreats
Home is the place you know you’ll be heard
Home is the pace where nothing blurs

Home is all these wonderful things
Home is the place you develop wings
Home is the place that you’ll find one day
Home is the place where your heart will stay
Lisa Emry

1 comment:

micah folsom photography said...

That's such a good poem!! I feel the exact same way every time I go back to good ol' Centerville each Sunday.. It really is the best! I'll be a wreck when we move away... ahh but it will be good for me!