Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hawaii Trip

We just got back from a tournament in Hawaii. The competition was rough (#6 Hawaii and #10 Stanford) but the hospitality was amazing. Thanks Alvin and Stanley for all the keychains, calendars, macadamia chocolates, fruit, and guava juice we could handle. They were so gracious and so were all the fans who were there cheering for us!

When we first got in, we took the girls to the Polynesian Cultural Center and attended a luau and their new show "Ha Breath of Life". It was awesome. Everyone was super tired from the trip but loved their experience there.

SK and I got up and went for a quick run on Wednesday morning and after practice, we hit up Hanauma Bay for some snorkeling and fun in the sun. Our "group permit" only allowed us to stay there for 2 hours but it was still a good time. We got hit on by a USMC lifeguard, got our pictures taken--not so candidly--by a bunch of old foreign men, and used our $1.59 mats to their full capacity. Wednesday night we hit up Duke's (a restaruant on the beach) for dinner and then had some free time to do some shopping at the International Market and the Quicksilver and
Roxy store.

Thursday we went to Pearl Harbor after Steph and I took our crew of Briana, Elli, and Shanae for a run. That was my 2nd trip to the USS Arizona Memorial and was just as memorable as the first. It's so emotional and spiritual there. It's sad to think of all the people who lost their lives on that day and was especially neat that we got to go the day before the 8th anniversary of 9.11. Jenna had me crying before we even sat down to watch the film because of her brother that just joined the Navy. And whenever I think about the Navy I think about my Grandpa Dee. I miss him...

Thursday night, we played the Rainbow Wahini in front of 5080 fans. There were the cutest old ladies who sat in the corner that had made each of us a ribbon lei. We lost in 3 and didn't play as well as we could, but right now, we are struggling to find some consistency (from all ends).

Friday morning we went running again and didn't have time for any sightseeing because we played the early match against Stanford. So after practice, we ate at L&L and then took off for the gym. We lost to Stanford in 3 as well, but played much better. We hit up Denny's after the match and then back to the hotel for curfew. Too bad that didn't last. The fire alarm went off at 4am! We had to escape down the stairwell and it was jam packed--which also made me think of 9.11. When we got to the 1st floor, I saw my parents and my mom and I were both relieved to see each other. Turns out, as usual, that it was a false alarm so we went back up to the room and tried to sleep for another hour and a half.

Steph took Bri and Elli running at six thirty and Al, Nancy, and I hit the surf. We rented boards for $15 and chose to forgo the lessons and just try to make do on our own. I paddled out and tried to practice getting up while I waited for some waves to come in. I got wise though in a hurry and started hanging out with these two guys who had an instructor. Every time he would tell them to paddle, I would and I ended up getting up really easy. What a blast! It was so addicting. But I had a serious rash on my upper abs from rubbing against the board and my shoulders felt like they were frozen! No wonder surfers have nice bodies. It is hard work!

After breakfast, we went back to the gym for our final practice and then to Denny's for pregame. Our match against UTSA was disappointing. We had some critical errors that ended up costing us the match in four games. But I think that the girls learned from this experience and will be better prepared for conference. Right after the game, I met up with my parents so that my dad could give Emily a blessing. She hadn't been feeling well and wasn't able to play in the match. What a blessing it was to have my parents on this trip! It was so much fun to see them in that environment and they definitely deserved the vacation after all the work they've put in when it comes to my sisters, my brother, and I. I hope they had a blast. I know I did...

Except for the long flight home that night!

2 comments:

Brock and Tyra said...

that is not a wave. I can make bigger waves in the bathtub. Go play in the big waves next time. BW

Amy K said...

Hi Melissa. Just blog bouncing and wanted to say hi. Sweet surfing pictures. Good luck with volley ball season. :) Amy K.