Friday, May 16, 2008

Slow down that bandwagon!

It seems like every person I know is doing some sort of training for a 5k, a triathlon, or a half or full marathon. Here are a few of the obvious reasons that people do these things:


1. They feel the need to burn a lot of calories.
2. They want to lead a healthy lifestyle.

Okay, okay...So I can't really name a few. I can actually only name two. And for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone in their right mind would be willing to torture themselves by running. Because that's what it is to me--TORTURE. And I'm talking the serious kind of torture that they train people in the CIA to do to terrorists. Perhaps this is because of my OCD--I count every step that I take when I'm running. Or because I'm not fast. I can, in fact, walk faster than I run. Or because I don't have any sort of endurance. Or because my mechanics suck. Or because it takes a good two miles for my body to even warm up and by that time, stick a fork in me, because I'm done. Or because it's just plain boring and I HATE IT!!!

Now I've heard people say that they enjoy it. (Oh really? How long does it take to get to that point?) I've heard people say that it can be addicting. (Now then, it must be a lot like smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol or doing drugs--which means IT'S BAD FOR YOU.) Steph, for instance, admits that she likes it so much that she runs sometimes twice a day! What?! Twice a week is pushing it for me! But because I hate running, I have developed a deep admiration for the people who do it regularly. I envy Steph and her ability to do this each and every day (and sometimes twice) with a smile on her face. I admire the people who say they look forward to their run each day and that the day just doesn't seem right when they miss it and those who get up and go at five in the morning (April) so they can squeeze their run in before they have to go off to work or to take care of their kids. I have respect for the people who undertake this training despite being pregnant (Mindy). But why I ask you? Why? How can you guys do this and actually enjoy it and look forward to it?

Maybe I got started on the wrong foot. Back in the good ol' 6th grade, everyone who signed up for the Fun Run got out of school for the afternoon. Not knowing any better, I signed up along with my friends and we all boarded the bus that took us to a back dirt road near Creamy Hollow. We all got off the bus and waited for Mr. Farnsworth to yell "go" and off we went. Now this Fun Run was NOT fun to me. I hated every second of it, but I was duped into it by the attraction and luring of the words "GET OUT OF SCHOOL". But when all was said and done, I would have rather stayed in class. So maybe I owe my hatred of running to the dirt roads and the huge hill that I had to face in my first (and last) Fun Run. I still get sick to my stomach when I remember the entire PJH student body lined up in our white t's and red shorts. Yuck. I don't know if this is why there is no fun in run with me, but it can't be genetics--my mom loved to run! And my dad loved it too--1000 stair laps around the PHS gymnasium for missing curfew because he was too in love with my mom to go home on time.

Regardless, you now have a small taste of my animosity towards running. And now you will know why, for me, completion of any race would be the biggest accomplishment of my life. So I'm jumping on the bandwagon--and I've started training for a marathon. This was my first week and I actually did the workout every day--without cheating--just as it's written in the program. And I still hated every second of it. But hopefully, I'll get to the Mindy-April-Steph phase where I love it and look forward to it each day! We'll see...

8 comments:

Brock and Tyra said...

When it comes to people who actually like running, I've come to the conclusion that I don't need to think I must be lazy or that they're better than me. Liking to run is just a strange genetic trait some people naturally have--like the ability to roll your tongue or liking the taste of black licorice. It's just a freak thing. No shame in not having, too.

Kristin Sokol said...

I agree, no shame in not liking running. I ran once. I mainly just wanted to see if I could. I personally didn't think I could, I mean look at me. Come on. I'm not your picture perfect runners physique. Plus it was January 1 so I had to start some sort of fitness regimen.

I started training for...yes...a half marathon. My first ever race. It actually went very very well. When I started I could only run the length of one house. Four months later I ran the half marathon with out having to walk any of it. Pretty impressive if I do say so my self.

My knee was messed up for close to a year and I nearly lost a toenail, but I'm still glad I did it.

I haven't ran since. But at least now I know that I can run if I choose to. I just choose not to, and I support you in your choice to NOT enjoy running.

micah folsom photography said...

i can relate to this is almost every instance. i too hate running... but really wish i had the SK gene and could somehow get hooked. what are you doing for your training? that's kinda exciting! when's the big race?

Kellie Henry said...

I agree with you! Especially when during your whole life of sports during practice your PUNISHMENT IS RUNNING! You try so hard in practice to not loose so you don't have to run! I think that is where I get my extreme hate for running, so therefore I can in part blame you COACH! LOL

holly said...

Ya, COACH, kellie has a point there. i played back in the days of eric... "dos mas". funny i thought those words when i was having kids and was told "two more pushes"! (is that more than mildly weird?)
anyway, good luck with the training!

Heather said...

You go Melissa! That is awesome you are training for a race. I wish I had the running gene. Let me know how the training is going.

micah folsom photography said...

i will definitely have to get a little bloody next year! Roping looks like the funnest part... maybe I should just learn how to do that. Have fun at the branding! Can't wait to read all about it:) How's your training going so far?

April said...

Yea! I'm so excited for you. what marathon are you doing? Just keep in mind that the trainning is NOT fun, but the race is amazing! It makes it all worth it. Good Luck. Let me know if you are doing any halfs this summer to "prepare"!