Friday, November 14, 2008

oh boy

Grandma Virginia McFarland. She sat posted in her recliner, with the remote on hand, smiling at each and every individual in the room. She would take turns asking each of them a question and upon receiving the answer, would mutter a marvelous "oh boy"! Everyone who has spent time with her has surely been the recipient of that phrase & as a result, has probably used those same words themselves at one time or another. I love to say it and I'm not even one of her grandchildren!

Grandma Mac passed away this afternoon at her home in West Weber. I'm sure she is excited to return to Heavenly Father and to her son & husband who are waiting for her there.

But we will miss her here too.

A few of the highlighted moments that I will remember:
  • Her silly laugh when she thought something you did or said was stupid.
  • Her nose spray.
  • Her purse and bottled water with the lipstick on it.
  • The time she thought that Christi's dog was a cat.
  • The time she told Colton she wished she could poke him in the butt with a knife.
  • The time she asked if John Swan was a Mexican.
  • Her "killer" mouse traps.
  • Her concern about having her nails and makeup done. (Reminds me of my Grandma Jeb)
  • Her love for cookies and milk.
  • The way she would always chide Colton after asking if I was his wife.
  • Her spelling skills--RESERVOIR is a word that no one in that family should ever forget.
  • Her love for the Utah Jazz.
  • Answering the remote and changing the channels with the phone.
  • Calling me honey.
  • Kissing on the lips.

I know that some of these things are a result of her memory going bad, but through all of these things, you could still tell how much she loved her family and appreciated visiting with them. And I appreciated all of these things because she reminded me so much of my own grandparents. We all love you G Mac...May the "oh boy" live on forever!

No comments: